Cameron, Missouri to Denver, Colorado
I caught the bus at five p.m. I had a two hour layover in Kansas City. While I was standing in line, an older man who looked Amish started talking to me. I mentioned that I had just come from Jamesport . . . because there are a lot of Amish in Jamesport. He immediately said that those people are Amish, and he was Menonite. I asked him the difference, and he said that Menonite are more conservative. He dressed pretty much the same. When we got on the bus, he was behind me. A woman offered me a seat next to her, and then when I looked to see if there were any empty seats on the bus, she said something like, "Oh, you want to sit with your husband." She thought the Menonite guy was my husband! I took it as a compliment! If I look down to earth enough to be mistaken for Menonite or Amish, then I must be doing something right!
The woman told me that on the bus there, a man had sat next to her, and had fallen asleep with his head on her shoulder! She said she had to keep poking him with her water bottle to wake him up! I'm glad that I didn't have any experiences like that! But it was interesting hearing about it!
The bus driver on this bus was very funny, and I thought I might have to pay extra for the entertainment. Just about every bus I have been on, the driver has had a cell phone. Most of them had long conversations just shooting the breeze (is that mixing metaphors?), as they say. While they're driving a bus, they're talking on a cell phone! That didn't seem right to me, and you'd think it should be illegal. Anyway, this bus driver told whoever it was she was talking to that something was wrong with the bus, and it wouldn't go over 66 mph. That, too, was interesting.
Later on, there was some excitement. The Menonite guy, and the guy sitting in front of him had some words. More than words. Loud words. The guy in front of him said that the Menonite guy kept kicking his chair. The Menonite guy said, "Shut up!" I thought they were supposed to be peaceful! I couldn't believe it! It was an eye opener for me, and I was glad that I wasn't married to him!
There is one advantage to being on a bus rather than an airplane. You didn't think there would be any, did you!? There are these cool multi-level footrests! It's much better for your back to have your knees above your hips, and much more comfortable.
Friday
Denver to Santa Fe, New Mexico
I was surprised to see all the snow on the mountains. You wouldn't think there would be any this time of year. In the small Colorado towns, I saw many horses and cattle grazing. The scenery was peaceful, and I enjoyed it. I had forgotten how incredibly blue the sky is in the mountains. I noticed that in West Virginia, also, but I forgot to mention it. It is an incredibly deep blue.
No comments:
Post a Comment