My bus took off from Clarksville forty-five minutes late. I had never had one be more than five minutes late, but Ron said all of the buses he ever took were late. It was definitely a sign! Plus, the driver didn't know the route and there was another bus driver with him reading to him off a computerized sheet that was probably from Mapquest! They didn't know where to go! Maybe that's why they were forty-five minutes late!
Then the driver skipped a bunch of stops, because we were late, but also because the bus was full. Yes, no sleeping on this bus, it was packed like sardines. We arrived in St. Louis on time! But that bus was late, and then there were too many people. I was too far back in line for the first bus, and then next bus didn't come for over an hour . . . but I was glad I didn't have to wait for the next day. I don't know how that works, but they did call in an extra bus because there were so many people. That bus was also full, but I sat next to the same woman. She couldn't speak English. Poor thing. I really have empathy for not knowing the language.
We arrived in Kansas City with just barely enough time. That is barely enough time if the bus would have been on time, but it was a half hour late. But I arrived at Cameron, Missouri and Alice and David were there to meet me. I haven't seen them for about twenty-five years! They looked pretty much the same as how I remembered them.
Their farm in Jamesport is beautiful. They have horses and cats, a dog, a donkey, and a sheep named Lucky who has been to a human chiropractor. They live in a straw bale house that is completely "off the grid" except for their telephone and internet service. "Off the grid" means living in a self-sustaining manner without reliance on public utilities. They collect rain water, have solar panels, and a generator, and have composting toilets. Their house is beautiful, and because of the straw bales there are no sharp edges inside . . . all the doorways and window areas are rounded. A bicycle has to be pedaled to get the water pressure up. It is a very cool house!
Alice took one of her horses to be bred, David and his friend, Scott, went to yoga, and I'm about to crash since I hardly got any sleep last night. It was a thirteen hour bus ride. Good night and pleasant dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment