Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April 16, 2008

Elkins, West Virginia
Today, I walked through town and felt the freshness of spring all over.  Spring feels so alive and so hopeful.  The art center had a free concert at noon today.  It is in a beautiful, old building that used to be a church.  Inside there are some religious pictures, and drawings of angels on the walls.  Gardner, a teacher from the school where Karen works, sang for almost an hour.  For the rest of the hour, several students from the school did drumming and chanting.  It was very cool.  Gardner smiled at me once!  Of course . . . there were probably forty people there and well only once, you know.

But it reminded me of many years ago . . . Karen and I would go hours early to a concert at the Troubadour, so we could get front row seats.  It sounds crazy, but it was totally worth it.  Our favorites were Gordon Lightfoot and Tim Buckley.  Sometimes we were so close, we would lean back and put our feet up on stage while they were singing.  Afterwards, we'd talk about how it seemed like he was singing just to us.

Karen came home tonight, and asked about the concert.  She said, "I knew you'd like Gardner!"  Then we went outside so she could mow the lawn.  I offered, but all she wanted me to do was pick up the sticks that had fallen down.  My one fear . . . y'all will laugh at this . . . is accidentally picking up a snake, thinking it is a stick!  I know they have poisonous snakes here . . . I'll have to do some research to find out which ones.

No comments: