Friday, April 11, 2008

April 7, 2008

On the road to New York.
I took off bright and early to Tarrytown, NY.  The bus ride again was fine, and I met a lovely Jamaican lady.  She had lived for many years in England, and then moved to the US to be with family.  She and her husband put four children through college.  She was funny and entertaining, and made the time go by fast.

I arrived at a bus stop in Yonkers.  Literally.  A bus stop.  I walked across the street, dragging my heavy suitcase behind me, and entered a real estate office.  They called a taxi for me.  Shortly, a fancy looking black car pulls up and asks if I called a taxi.  The only marking on the car was near the license plate, and it said "The Family."  I didn't know what to do!  I went back into the real estate place and asked if that was the cab she called, and she thought it was, so in I went.

The gentleman put my suitcase in the trunk, but didn't know where the train station was, so he let me use his cell phone to call my friend.  You know me and cell phones . . . I could barely hear, anyway, so I gave the phone to him, and Tammy told him how to get there.  

At the train station, there was no counter to buy any tickets, it was just a couple machines.  I purchased a ticket for $3 and inserted a twenty dollar bill into the machine.  I received seventeen dollars back in those "new" one dollar coins.  I felt like I had been living in a foreign country!  What are these things!?!

I looked at the ticket and couldn't find where to go.  I asked someone and took an elevator upstairs.   The train pulls up and you have to kind of run to get on it.  There was another woman going to Tarrytown, also, so I just followed her.  Inside the train, a guy in there helped me to fold the seat down at the entrance.  Later, he told me where to get off the train, because they don't always announce it.  Nothing here was too clear, and I was just going with the flow!

At Tarrytown, Tammy met me at the train station and we walked to her apartment, and carried the suitcase up two flights of stairs!  

No comments: