Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 25, 2008

The Appalachians

For my last day in West Virginia, we took another drive up into the mountains. It was a beautiful day, until the rain started coming down. But the cloud formations were still beautiful. I saw grazing cows and horses on gently rolling green pastures. Trees just getting their leaves, bright and beautiful. We saw deer and lots of birds. It was a nice day.

This evening we went across the street for an outside fire at Shirley's house. They roasted hot dogs and marshmellows. I had the marshmellows! The chairs we sat in were wet from the earlier rain, but unfortunately we didn't realize it until my bottom was soaking wet. So I spent the rest of the evening with my bottom backed up against the fire! It made for some interesting conversation! I enjoyed the time I spent getting to know Karen's friends. Karen's two dogs played with Shirley's dog in the back yard, while two kids sat on the swing.

It felt like a very country, West Virginia time! Take me home, country roads. Decent houses can be bought here for under a hundred thousand. It feels safe here. It would be a place I could consider to live. The downside would be all the smoking . . . there are even places called "Smoker Friendlys" and "Smokers Choice". And there is a lot of hunting here. But it feels safe and there is a lot to be said about that in this day and age.

In the flash from the past department, I received an email from Munna saying that his brother is getting married, and Munna is in trouble because he has to give him money. He doesn't have any, and he wanted to know if I could help. Yes, India was for real. I didn't just imagine it.

No comments: