Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday, September 27, 2008


Last night in the middle of the night, I heard a lot of noise outside.  The horses had gotten out of their corral and were rummaging around the yard.  I thought maybe they could get into the bus where the horse cookies were.  So, I got up, put on my tennis shoes over my feet pajamas (!), and went outside.  Sure enough, the door to the bus was open, and an empty sack of horse cookies was lying on the ground with a horse's nose inside it!  It was very dark, and I didn't know what the horses would do when they saw me, so I carefully walked towards them, talking to them and telling them it was "me."  They weren't real happy about me closing the bus door!  But I got it closed, and safely made it back to my room.  At least they didn't get the grain that is kept in there.  That would be dangerous.

Pat left early this morning to go to the Roadhouse.  She had already fed.  But, when I went out to clean the corrals, half the horses were inside the hay barn!  Horse cookies last night and free hay today!  They have been lucky!  I went in and shoed them all out of there, but what a mess.  They had strewn hay everywhere.  Chaco looked like he was about to burst, but he's not one to turn down a free meal!

Zekey is dying.  He won't live through this episode.  What's weird is that he gets up and walks around and lays down in the yard.  Then he goes back into the stall that we have prepared for him.  I can't take this . . . seeing him like this, knowing he's going to die.  My father died when I was eight years old, and times being the way they were, I wasn't allowed to go to the funeral.  I never processed the whole death thing.  I have a hard time accepting this.  I don't care that Zekey's old, I just care that I've grown attached to him and I'll miss him.  This is tough to take.

No comments: