
This morning after chores, we put a halter on Chaco and led him out the gate. We led him over to some grass and let him go. We sat on an old log and watched him, and he enjoyed himself being free and eating grass. The first time we walked away from him, he pretty much ignored us! But the second time, he followed along like a little puppy dog. Then we took him by the halter, much to his dismay because he was enjoying grazing on grass, and led him through the front gate, and to the bus where the grain is kept. He loves grain, so it was an ample reward for returning home peacefully.
After I put Chaco back in the corral with the other horses, JD pawed the bar of the corral because he wanted to come out. He asked so nicely that we let him out! Then we got the lid/frisbee from the other day, and started training him to "target" the frisbee. Like Chaco, he just needed to touch the frisbee with his nose to get rewarded for it. JD didn't do as well as Chaco. He kept getting distracted. I may be a little biased here, but I think Chaco is smarter than JD! Or maybe it's just that Chaco's stomach is connected to his brain!
Today someone new arrived. He is an appaloosa stallion, but he is a little bit of a thing. He didn't have a name, so we named him Skeeter. And he looks like a Skeeter! The first thing we had to do was get him to eat out of our hands. We took some hay and handed it to him, and he was scared, but he did it. If he accidentally touched our hands as he took the hay, it scared him and he would hurriedly back away. We took turns feeding him, but while we were doing it, the mosquitoes came! They were awful! I went inside to get a long-sleeved shirt, but then they just attacked my face and neck. I finally had to go in, and Pat didn't stay out much longer, either.
A little later, I saw a stick bug on my window that I wanted to take a picture of, and I ventured outside. Chaco was loose, and as he approached me, I saw all these spots on his nose that didn't look familiar. It wasn't until he got closer that I realized they were mosquitoes! All over his nose! It was awful! I killed some (he didn't like that very much), and he had red pin dots of blood in several places. The mosquitoes here are mean! And bite hard!
No comments:
Post a Comment