
Largo Canyon to Albuquerque to Cuba (NM!)
I walked outside just before dawn and when I looked up into the sky, what was staring back down at me but Orion, my favorite constellation. I knew it would be a good day!
Wyatt and Jonika gave me a ride to Farmington to catch the bus. The twenty some miles of dirt roads was kind of a hairy adventure. Wyatt is a good driver, but kind of fast and scary! We made it, though, and the bus was on time, which was wonderful.
Shortly after we left Farmington for open country, I saw my next good sign . . . an immature eagle. At least I think that's what it was. It was awesome, regardless.
The bus stopped at the Continental Divide for a smoke break, while the bus driver used his cell phone to call someone.
On our way down the hill toward Albuquerque, we passed Indian Reservations, one right after the other . . . Jicarilla Apache, Zia, Sandia and others.
The bus station in downtown Albuquerque was in a bad neighborhood, but I have to say that the bathroom was the cleanest I've ever seen. I was impressed.
After leaving the bus station, I followed the directions that I had gotten from Mapquest to find the car dealerships that I was looking for. There were two cars that I was to look at, both of them silver, both of them with 65,000 miles.
I walked awhile, passing numerous homeless people, and a homeless support building. I couldn't find the street I was looking for, and I thought I should have already. Behind me was a man walking a bicycle. I asked him where it was. He asked what I was looking for and when I told him a car dealership, he said there weren't any down there. He pointed where it was . . . he said there was just one.
I wanted to turn around and go the way I thought I should, and he told me it really wasn't safe. He said that I was a small woman and an easy target. He said I should go the way he suggested where there were more people around. Man, I am not a city girl! Reluctantly, I followed his directions.
He turned out to be a former car salesman! He was coaching me on everything I should say. He kept saying, "Don't let them take you! Don't let them take you!" He also said it's a buyer's market, and that they want to sell me a car more than I want to buy a car. He told me not to tell them that I took the bus there.
We walked a long time, and I finally asked him if he was leading me astray. But, he pointed just up ahead and said that's where I turn. His name was Sam and he was truly an angel sent to help me.
Contrary to what Mapquest said, Sam was correct about both where the car dealer was and that there was just one around there. It was just a few blocks down from where I turned. On the way there, I stopped to ask a college kid if I was going the right way. He didn't know, but he looked just like my nephew did ten years ago, so I thought that was a good sign, too!
I walked up to the dealership, and a guy asked if he could help me. I told him who I was looking for, and it was him! Lee looked like a surfer from the sixties . . . hair in his face and a little bleached blonde, and he was slender and cute.
He said the car was right there, so we got in for the test drive. I was starved, so I asked where the nearest McDonalds was! It was close, thankfully! (I got chicken!) After the drive-thru, we took a short test drive and wound up back at the dealers. I quickly ate my lunch, while Lee put some info into the computer. He said that he couldn't talk about the price, but he would get someone who could.
In walks Darren, a guy with an English accent from Oxford, England. He says there are no deals to be made here, because this was an internet special, and those have to be really competitive prices. So, there's no room for bargaining, sorry. I make an offer and he says, no way. I asked to use the phone. He brings me two phone books, and leaves me alone in the room. I call the "other" car that I wanted to look at. My angel, Sam, was correct. Only one dealer . . . they had another name, but they were owned by the same people! The price on the "other" car was $1000 more than this car. Wow.
Darren comes back in the room, and shows me a piece of paper with a price on it that is like $150 less than the asking price. He says that's what they have in the vehicle, and they still have to pay Lee the commission, and that's why there's no room to bargain.
I make another offer. He again says, no way. Then Steve comes in and asks, how are we doing? I had mentioned them before, but I mention the tires again. They look pretty okay, but they're a little worn. Finally Steve makes an offer including the tires. It still doesn't suit me. He says they can't do anything for me then. He and Darren both shake my hand and leave the room.
I slowly and deliberately put on my jacket, put on my backpack, adjust everything, and slowly go out the door, where Lee intercepts me. He asks what's going on. Is this a cleverly designed play or what!? It was orchestrated beautifully! I start telling him the story, and then Steve comes back out. He asks if I would mind waiting ten minutes for the boss, and he would run it past him. I talk to Lee a few more minutes and then Steve comes back out with an offer that I can live with. It's still not as good as I wanted, but it's much better than it would have been if I hadn't talked to Sam!
We fill out the paperwork, and the guy handling the financing asks if I want to handle the licensing myself . . . which I believe means I would pay for it myself. But that was in the deal, so I turned it down. These places really try to stick it to you every chance they get, and I really don't appreciate it. You never know what to believe. So, Monday, I have an appointment to go to a mechanic in town here, to make sure there's nothing horribly wrong with the car. I wasn't going to do that, because it was a dealer and I figured they would have checked it out, but the whole thing felt so "dirty" that I don't trust them. Hopefully, it will check out fine. The car feels really good, and sounds really good.
After I left there, I knew I wouldn't be able to get home before dark. I didn't want to drive for two hours in the dark and then have to drive the dark, dirt road for home, which I have a hard time following in the light! So, I stayed overnight in a nice motel at a small New Mexico town called Cuba. It was good to rest.
Friday
Woke up and ate a leisurely breakfast, and watched a science show on television. Television! What is that! I haven't watched tv in over five months!
I drove back, got to Bloomfield at lunch, and bought a pizza to take back to Largo with me. After I reached the dirt road for home, it took me over an hour and a half to get home. I averaged fifteen miles an hour . . . this is a car, not a truck, and the road was too bumpy. Also, I still have to take it to the mechanic on Monday.
I ran into Pat about five minutes from Largo, and she thought my new car was cute. I guess that's good. It was very windy when I fed the horses this evening, and I had on a black knit hat that I've never worn before. The horses didn't recognize me! Chaco looked, sniffed my gloved hand, and then shied away! It was awful!
It was a good and successful trip, and now I'm glad I have the car. Last night I was so happy about having the car and my freedom and independence again that I started crying. It's been a long time without a car having to depend on other people. It has been a strange lesson to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment