Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tuesday, October 7, 2008



Gubanador, New Mexico
I fed the horses and chickens this morning before Jane and Don left. I wanted to feed by myself while they were still here to see if I had any last minute questions. I didn't. I only had one problem . . . getting into the chicken coop. I couldn't figure out why the gate wouldn't open. I knew Jane was stronger than I am, after seeing her yesterday pick up the fifty pound feed sack like it was a five pound bag of flour. But, I didn't think I was so weak I couldn't manage to open the chicken coop gate! When I finally got it open, I saw why I couldn't. A tiny piece of ice, about the size of a pea, was holding it fast closed. Now that I know what it is, I'll know what to do!

Jane and Don left early, and I was left alone with my solitude and my books and my computer . . . and of course the horses, chickens, and cats! It's beautiful here, and I think it is going to be a productive, and relaxing week.

Gilbert called this morning to talk to Jane. I told him I was taking care of the place, and he gave me his phone number in case I needed anything. He's one of the oil workers. He said he'd stop by later to visit. He arrived in the afternoon, an older guy who has worked in the oil fields for years. He said his family has been around here for a long, long time. He told a story about his great great grandfather who had been abducted by Indians. He finally escaped when he was about eighteen years old, and settled here and started a small town called Largo, which isn't here anymore.

Gilbert also told stories about when he was a kid, and he and his friends wouldn't buy gas . . . they would go to the oil field and get something called "drip," which is kind of a by-product of the natural gas from the wells. Apparently, there is gasoline coming from these wells, but not a lot. But, there is enough that they sell it to a refinery or something. It was interesting, though, and I learned a lot more about the goings-on around here than I knew before.

After he left, I went outside armed with some horse cookies, and started training Jasper and T-Bone how to "target". They both did really well . . . over the fence. I'm not sure how well Jasper will do if I'm in the corral with him. They have both been outside in pasture, and since then, Jasper has gotten a little willful, and even tried to kick Don when he tried to catch him. If I can get him to "target" so that someone can catch him, it will be better for everybody.

The pictures are of T-bone and Jasper.  T-bone is the one with the pretty dished face.  I keep thinking he's a girl because of his pretty face.  The dished face is indicative of Arabian horses.  Jasper is the one who looks (and acts!) irascible.  Jasper is one I rode on the twenty mile trip awhile ago.  He's not irascible when you're in his saddle!  Luckily!

No comments: