

Today, it's just Lylbun and me. He fed the horses this morning, so I cleaned the corral. He made breakfast of cornmeal mush. It was, um, interesting. The maple syrup helped! I watered the greenhouse and the garden, and we'll feed together for the horses noon meal.
Perhaps I should change the name of this from the Horse Poop Diaries to Culinary Chronicles . . . no that's too fancy for me . . . Cooking Chronicles. Pat expected me to go with her, so she didn't really leave me any food except for mass quantities of rice and dried beans and such. She left Lylbun some beef stew . . . so that counts me out. So I decided to try my hand at one of my favorite foods . . . hummus. I thought all I had to cook it was a half hour. But, I spoke to my sister this morning, and she suggested that I soak them as long as I can before I start cooking, plus add additional time because of high altitude. So I soaked them for maybe half an hour, and started cooking. Two hours later and they are still not done, but I was tired of waiting. I tried mashing them up with a fork to no avail. Then I got one of those squisher things, but the beans kept squeezing through, so I didn't get to squish too many at a time. I never did get it sufficiently squished, but I gave up trying. I added lime juice instead of lemon juice, because that was my only choice. Then added some garlic. Then, I tried eating it. Oops. Well, one for two "ain't" bad . . . the pineapple cake was good! And then, much to my consternation, I discovered a note from John . . . there is a chicken in the refrigerator ready to be cooked . . . and instructions on how to cook it! I could have had chicken, and instead I had undone garbanzo beans! Bummah!
Later, I went out to the corral to take some pictures of the horses. Cisco came right up to me. Chaco, the stallion, actually sniffed my fingers, so I'm gaining ground there. Sparky always wants as much affection as you're willing to give him. He is a stallion, but such a baby. He reminds me of the Arabian stallion that I used to have. But Sparky is a mustang.
This evening, after we fed the horses, I sat with Lylbun and he told me about when he was in Japan and in the Korean War, and about other adventures all over the US. He's an interesting guy, but a little hard of hearing, so it's a little difficult to talk to him. He's got a cute little puppy with him named Judy. He's only had her a couple days, so she cries whenever he leaves her alone.
Pictures: Horses (Cracker-mule, Chester-mule, Cisco) running around like crazy the other day. And the other one is my "reiki-horse", Cisco.
No comments:
Post a Comment