Pat went to Navajo City today, so we were on our own. We did all the morning chores early, talked awhile while the horses finished eating, and then went out to work with them. Laura wanted Cracker to re-establish a relationship with him. Shawn took Chester. And I went for Chaco. I brushed him, and hugged him, and tried to get him to know his shoulder, but it seemed like he already knew it, so I'll have to ask Pat tomorrow. Then I tried putting my arm on his back to put a little weight on there. I want him to get used to having weight on his back. I really want to ride him. Crazy, huh? He's never had a rider on his back, except for when he backed Pat up against the fence and she sat on him side-saddle, but I don't know if that counts! He was trying to avoid the fly spray bottle, and so wasn't thinking about the strange weight on his back.
Late this afternoon, I wondered what that strange sound was. One by one all the dogs came into my room . . . and then it dawned on me. I looked outside, and sure enough . . . it was raining. Next came the thunder and lightning, and the dogs were really scared. It was exciting, but I kept having to unplug my computer. Luckily, it had a little battery left, so I could keep working.
I went outside to check on the horses to see what they were doing in this downpour. Several of them were just outside standing in it instead of getting under the several roofs that are available out there. Chaco was in the last stall where I had worked with him earlier today. I thought maybe he went there so I could protect him. I walked over there and held out my hand, and he wasn't too happy with me. I think that since Pat and I gave him a bath a couple days ago, he thought that I could turn it off, and when I didn't, he was a little peeved. Sorry, Chaco.
Then, Laura and Shawn stop by to see if I wanted to go see if the Largo River was running. Yes! I thought of the same thing myself. We all get on raincoats, and walk through the corral on the way to the Largo. This time Chaco did come to me, and let me give him a hug. The poor wet guy!
We made our way past the horses and walked the short distance to the Largo. It wasn't exactly dry, but it certainly wasn't running! Shawn and Laura walked out into it and it wasn't even squishy, but in weather like this, a great rush of water could come down the canyon anytime, so I stayed on the bank. Maybe I'm just chicken!
No comments:
Post a Comment