
Yesterday, Lylbun and I talked about the petroglyphs around here. He described how to get there, and I thought maybe I could walk sometime. I didn't want to ask him if he wanted to go because he is like 74 years old! But, today, he asked me if I wanted to go. And I was like, "Yeah!"
His truck is a trip in itself. First he told me to slam the door because it doesn't close all the way. He turns the engine on with a screwdriver, and off with a pliers. I was hoping that the brakes worked, because at one point we were high on a mesa and headed down a rather steep dirt road, with a deep canyon to my right. They held.
We parked on the side of the road that looked like it might be a little sandy. I asked if he had four wheel drive. He said that he had a shovel. We got out and started walking, and he said there was a slight chance we might see a rattlesnake. Cool! After awhile, he points to the cliff face and said that there is a petroglyph there. I asked if it was a stick figure carved in. No. We got closer.
I saw it! It was awesome! And a few feet away, a smaller one! It was so cool! We kept hiking upwards so we could get closer to it. Then we started moving on to find another one. He is as much of a mountain goat as those kids the other day! Luckily, he gave me a walking stick, which really helped.
Then, I fell. Not too far . . . not far at all. But I scraped my elbow and my thumb, and bruised my ring finger. It hurt. It bled. I told him I was okay, and we walked on. There were these little gnats that were tiny and had a more annoying buzz than mosquitoes. Higher pitched. And they kept wanting to get in our ears. That was gross. But we walked on. I was getting really hot and wondering how much further I could go.
Then, Lylbun points again. It was the coolest most awesome petroglyph! It showed some kind of deer creature with long straight horns. And something behind it. Perhaps it showed Santa Claus and the reindeer! Lylbun thought that whatever it was behind the deer was done at a different time. He knows a lot about petroglyphs and ruins, and where they are.
After I rested for a short time in the shade, we started back. I found a couple cool pieces of petrified wood. Then, Lylbun stops. I have no idea what's going on. He points down, and I pick up this big piece of . It was very cool!
We got back to the truck, and pulled out into the road with no problem. Back at the ranch (literally!), I washed my injuries, and was good as new. Almost. But what a cool adventure this was!
No comments:
Post a Comment