
I rode Chaco again today! We were in the round pen this time . . . a much larger area. At first, he was a little iffy, but then he relaxed and forgot I was on his back. All he wanted was his cookies! He was totally cool with everything. I was on him for about ten minutes.
Later, Pat said that I can't take the riding with him too far until she is more confident of my riding abilities. She bought a book on learning to ride on a "lunge line". It's when the horse is connected to a long rope, and the rider is on him. Someone else is holding the end of the rope. So, we will be practicing things in that book soon. I'll be riding JDancer for those lessons.
In the meantime, today we practiced emergency dismounts. Pat and I both did it. In the book it shoes the person with both legs straight out behind her over the horses rump. I tried it, and there was no way that was going to happen. I told Pat that was not something a fifty-something person can do! So, Pat, who is just a few years younger tried it. I was right! It's not something a fifty-something person can do!! But, we did the best we could, and I learned to push myself away from the horse as I land. I had been landing facing the horse and right at his side. I need to land facing forward and a little to the side of the horse. So, more practicing.
I love this horse stuff! I feel like I'm at camp.
I know it doesn't fit the narrative today, but this is a picture of Pat and Chester.
No comments:
Post a Comment