This morning when we cleaned the corrals, we noticed that Sparky's eyes were all swollen. We don't know why. Yesterday, many of the horses, including Chaco, had red eyes. Nevertheless, Sparky's eyes were really bad today, so we brought him into the building, into the kiva (a tall round room, built entirely by John and Pat with handmade adobe bricks ) to check him out.
Then we picked some comfrey out of the garden, and I took it in and prepared it, and put it in the blender. I made a poultice out of it, and tried to put it on his eyes. He fought it mostly, but I was able to hold it on each eye for awhile.
John came later in the day and delivered a small tractor. Pat had Shawn and Laura make him a rhubarb pie, which he loves.
Chaco's hooves needed grinding today. We put him in the same corral where he jumped the pole fence yesterday. But, today, Pat strung a rope a foot above the pole so the "fence" would be higher. Then, she took off his halter, so he could be completely free and walk away if he wanted to. She uses an electric sander to grind their hooves. He was a real trooper for the front feet, and didn't do too bad with the rear feet, either. You can imagine how nervous they might get with a loud machine pressed against their hooves. Did I mention that it smelled like when you get a tooth drilled at the dentist? Chaco did great, and I gave him reiki the whole time to help him through it.
No comments:
Post a Comment