Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday, July 20, 2008


I rode Chaco today!  Is that awesome or what!  Before we even started, Pat wanted me to practice the "emergency dismount" procedure on JDancer.  JDancer and I both did fine.  It was a little awkward getting off the right side, but I tried it and it was fine.  Then, onto Chaco!

First, Pat held the lead rope and just gave me a legup so that I was lying across his back.  Then she had him walk a step or two.  Then I got off.  We did that on and off for awhile.  Then she wanted me to get all the way up on him and then immediately off.  We did that a couple times.  Then, I was to get on him and hesitate, and then finally, she would lead him a few steps.  It was still on again and off again . . . that way, if you keep getting off, they don't think it would profit them any to try to get you off.  At the end, she was leading me all around the stall and Chaco was pretty okay.  No one has ever been on him before except me!  I tamed the wild mustang!  Well, kind of.

Pat said I did a good job.  If you want to see this amazing ride . . . check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSYLl52c1L8

Later, I saw Chaco outside my room scratching his chest on the white picket fence that's out there.  I called him, and after he finished scratching (!), he came over to my window and gently put his nose on the screen, so I could rub his nose.  Through the screen, he couldn't feel it much, so he didn't stay long!

At lunch, Pat and John were talking about a woman who used to stay here . . . she had brought her horses with her, but she didn't want to work with horses.  I didn't understand.  Pat said that I'm a rarity . . . I said I wanted to come and work with horses, and I do it.  She said that most people say they want to, but when it comes down to it, they really don't.  So, that's cool.

No comments: