Sunday, July 20, 2008

Saturday, July 19, 2008


Dulce, New Mexico
Road trip!  Today was the annual Little Beaver Native American Pow Wow and rodeo.  Shawn, Laura and I went.  First, we watched the parade, which included lots of horses, and the Jicarilla Apache marching band who all wore moccasins and most had on a white cloth headband.  After that, we walked over to the fairgrounds and watched the rodeo for awhile.  Pat said that the animals have it pretty good . . . they only have to work a few seconds and they're fed well.  But, we sat close to the front and we could hear the calves cry when the cowboys threw them onto the ground.  I didn't like it.

But watching the dancing and listening to the singing was awesome.  They had an all tribes dance, and I joined in!  I felt the beat . . . it was me.  I've been here before.  That's me in the jeans and purple shirt.

After we left the Pow Wow, we stopped at an Apache arts/crafts garage sale.  I bought a pair of cowboy boots from an Apache woman named Alva.  She was wonderful.  I picked up the boots and had them going in opposite directions, and she changed them around and  said, "If you do that, you won't know where you're going."  I said, "I don't know where I'm going!"

No comments: