Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday, July 3, 2008

This morning we did more of the horse tests.  Today was mostly about driving.  Chaco had a surcingle on for the first time . . . that is a strap that goes just behind his front legs and holds a blanket on.  He didn't like it!

I practiced with Chaco again having him let me get onto him . . . actually, I'm just practicing for when I can get on him.  Right now, I just lean over his back, and if he lets me without moving, he gets a cookie.  He really likes cookies, so he's been really good about it.

Pat and I put halters on Cisco and Chaco today, and we took a long walk into the "wilderness".  We didn't go too far, but the boys enjoyed it because we let them graze a lot.  On the way there, while we were walking down the road, first Pat would trot her horse ahead of mine, and then I would trot Chaco away from her.  It is good practice for each of the horses to be content with their handler and not have to be with the other horse.  They both did fine.  And while we were out walking around, we found a couple things to stand up on to get the horses to practice allowing us to mount.  Neither of us mounted . . . both these horses are still in the practice stage.  Although, Pat has sat on Cisco a few times in the last few days.

When we got back and turned the horses loose, JDancer seemed to be looking at us wistfully.  I felt bad and said, "Poor JD."  Pat said, "You want to ride him?"  I had been wanting to ask her to lunge him with me on him again, so I said yes!  She said to get some kind of bridle, so I got a hackamore.  That is a bitless bridle that puts pressure on the horses nose.  It is what I used to ride my horse with many moons ago.

I brought JDancer over to the fence, and he let me slip on to him . . . bareback.  The reins were two single reins and very long.  I'm not "used" to that kind of reins, so it was a little hard getting used to them.  But we rode around the ring together for a little while, and trotted a little, and then Pat set out three chairs for us to ride around.  It's kind of like barrel racing, only this was with chairs.  With the reins being weird and me not used to them, and not used to him, JDancer started getting a little uptight.  I didn't really notice it, but Pat did.  She said he gets that way sometimes, but you can talk him out of it.  What happens when he gets that way?  He will often buck you off!  So, I chose to exit on my own!  But, it felt good to ride again.

No comments: